Sunday, December 31, 2006

South of the Border, Down Mexico Way….

The lure of fish tacos was not the major reason
we returned to Algodones, Mexico which is just a short walk across the border seven miles west of Yuma. Everyone loves a bargain and that’s what draws the hordes to this little border village. It’s teeming with pharmacies offering drugs at amazingly low prices. Signs on the sidewalks advertised outrageously “Prozac - $2.95” amidst a list of all the other popular prescription pharmaceuticals. Swarms of dentists’ offices offered crowns, dentures and implants for amazingly cut-rate prices – you can look through the street side windows and see folks stretched out in the dental chairs getting their work done. After checking what water was used in their machines (purified), I braved it and went in for a teeth cleaning for $30. Much better than the $130 at home but the dentist didn’t do a meticulous job – I think I’ll stick to my dentist at home. But the major enticement for me was to get prescription glasses. Last year, I was a bit suspicious and just bought prescription reading glasses – surprise, they were wonderful. So this time, I went for progressive, transitional lenses and got a second pair for half price – two pairs for $250 – I would have paid $450 for one pair at home. We had 2 ½ hours to wait to pickup my glasses so off we went to have our fish tacos and beer with our friends who accompanied us. They were just as yummy as I remembered but they had doubled the price to $1 each. We still had an hour to kill after lunch and I did want another of those Mexican pouch purses that I bought last year so I did a bit of bargaining.
“$38” the shopkeeper answered when I pointed to one and he pulled it down to show me “Lovely soft lambskin” he continued and when I hesitated “what will you give me?”
“I don’t want lambskin – I want the sturdier leather” I said. He grimaced with disapproval as he pulled down another, which looked exactly the same. “Not as good” he said and asked me to feel how hard it was.
“How much?”
“$28” and he noticed my disgruntled expression “how much will you give me?”
“I wouldn’t pay more than $10.”
“Would you like it for 25 cents?” he asked
“Sure thing”
“Get outta here!” He yelled at me.
I guess I didn’t do well there but last year I bought a lambskin one for $12 so I knew what I was talking about. I haggled with three more merchants and ended up with the one I wanted for $15 so I was happy enough.
Finally, it was 2:30pm and I picked up my glasses and we headed for the border. YIKES! The line to walk back through the US border went right down the street, around the corner and down that street, around another corner and another ¼ mile along a dusty lane to get to the back of the line. The wind was blowing and sand was coating our lips and teeth and settling in to the roots of our hair but we kept our good humour while we waited and waited and waited, inching forward every so often. We made friends with the people in front of us and behind us and we chatted to the motorists also lined up for miles. Mexican Indian street vendors displayed their wares – gaudy ceramics, jewellery, blankets (these became a hot item later on as it started to get cold). But the wait was interminable and I wished I’d bought some of the Prozac for $2.95 – would have kept me calm. 5:40pm we finally got up to the customs office where just two officers (two desks were vacant) were slowly looking through every bag uncaring about the elderly people (I don’t mean us) standing for over three hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home